Saturday, January 26, 2008

Don’t Let a Disability Hold You Back Work From Home


This is one of my first ventures into article writing and so I thought that I would explain how I got into working from home.I am a widow aged 60 and I nursed my husband through terminal cancer.We had been marrird since 1970 and wasn’t just my husband,he was also my best friend my mentor and my carer.

In 1993 I was diagnosed with an incurable and progressive neurological disease which though it would not kill me would make me more and more incapacitated and the future for me was a wheelchair. However I was referred to the National Hospital for neurology in London and offered pioneering brain surgery which might improve my physical symptoms. I decided to go ahead and had the surgery at Derriford Hospital in Plymouth. Unfortunately within a couple of months of my surgery my husband was diagnosed with terminal cancer and died just under 12 months later,I am proud to say that my daughters and I nursed him at home until the very end.

The stress of my husband’s illness and death meant that the surgery was ineffective and my condition actually got worse. I was under the care of an amazing Neurologist by the name of DR.Nick Fletcher at Walton hospital in Liverpool. Dr. Fletcher tried everything to control my erratic movements and tremors, he regularly injected massive doses of botulinum toxin into my neck and spine to paralyse some of my muscles.

Along with anti-parkinsons drugs this improved things for a few years, until I developed a resistance to the toxin. Luckily for me a second toxin was developed however it was excruciatingly painful and many patients could not tolerate the pain. Bad as it was I managed as I had no alternative until a couple of years ago when DR.Fletcher put my name forward for a new procedure called Deep Brain Stimulation. This entailed some pretty drastic brain surgery to place two rods through the top of my skull deep into the base of my brain and wired under the skin in my head to a battery box in my abdomen.

The idea was that every time my muscles worked to jerk my body about the stimulator would give a small jolt of electricity to paralyse the nerves causing the involuntary movements. This worked well for me, it does not cure the disease but it helps to control the symptoms. The only small downside is that I have to have surgery every twenty months or so to replace the battery and I also have to remain on the anti -parkinsons drugs for life. To me this is a small price to pay to be able to do so much more.

Just when I thought nothing else could go wrong I had a couple more kicks in the teeth. Firstly I had to sell my house as I could not afford the upkeep. I moved to a small village outside Chester and bought myself a small house, unfortunately for me I inherited the neighbour from hell and things got so bad that I had to sell up and practically give the house away, leaving me with no equity to buy another property.

I was however lucky to be allocated a house on the William Ewart Gladstone Estate in North Wales. For those who don’t recognise the name he was a British Prime Minister in the 1800s. He was also a great benefactor to the village that I live in and his family still run and own most of the properties in our village. I am very fortunate to live in a lovely grade two listed house.

Again when I thought that things couldn’t get any worse a couple of years ago I was diagnosed with a facial cancer. Once more I was fortunate as the surgeon who removed it did a fantastic job in getting it all out but even more so in the plastic surgery that she performed, leaving me today with barely a mark to show where the growth was.

As you can appreciate I needed to earn a living and though I was a Registered Nurse with a teaching qualification there was no way I could do a job outside the home and most home based jobs were very labour intensive and paid a pittance.
Luckily for me I came across a guy on the Internet who introduced me to a system which really opened my eyes to the potential of working from home using the Internet. I started off with a free site and then had a much bigger and better site built for myself.

My message to everyone is despite any lack of knowledge or any physical disability you can succeed especially with the help of a structured system and I am living proof of this.

I hope that I haven’t bored everyone to sleep .So my advice is give it a go and see for yourself what you are capable of, you might amaze yourself.Good luck in your venture,remember if you don’t try you will never know how successful you might have been.

0 comments:



Post a Comment