Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Surviving Two Weeks on $10


My wife and I, inspired by recent awareness and charity programs aimed at poor and destitute families here and in Africa have decided to do our own little part. I encourage everyone to try this out with the consultation of your doctor. I will be posting daily as much as possible on this event.

We each gave ourselves $10 for food and must survive the next two weeks on that food only. We are not allowed to share the food. The rules are that we cannot purchase or use anything that would normally be outside the reach of one of these families. What this means is we can use condiments that we have in the house (salt, oil, pepper) while things that add significant changes or calories are not allowed (honey, brown sugar, syrup).

While someone can say they feel bad or think it's sad that millions of people are forced to live off sub $1-a-day wages, I don't think you really know quite how good you have it going for you unless you try it out yourself. Now obviously we still have our internet connection, car and other amenities or else you wouldn't be reading this post.

Here is what I have come up with so far:

- 5 Ramen : $0.13 each - $0.78 total
- 2lb Rice: $1.00
- 42oz Oats: $1.39
- 2lb Spaghetti: $0.95
- 26oz Sauce: $0.95
- 1lb Beans: $0.56
- Apple Juice Mix: $0.79

Current Total of: $6.42

and my wifes choices:

I don't know her exact content but she has spent $9.38 of her $10, leaving her not much leeway in the coming weeks, but she says she has a better plan than me so it must be true :P (you can click on the picture to get a much bigger view of everything).

I also have to work out three times a week so I know I'm going to be burning quite a few calories, so I made her promise to do the same. I have a normal job which I have to go to, activities I participate in and a home life (just cats though, no kids).

via Protoshell

0 comments:



Post a Comment